A Potted History of Fiskerton Cricket Club
The earliest date for which a match involving Fiskerton Club
recorded is one played on the 26th of October 1819 when the Fiskerton Club
took on Bleasby 'in a meadow in Fiskerton'.
In a two innnings game Bleasby
amassed a total of 147 runs but Fiskerton only managed 84. Better things lay
ahead however, for example when the two sides met again to compete 'on the
frozen River Trent' in the 1830's the tables were nearly turned until the
match ball disappeared through a hole in the ice caused by a brazier. These
examples say much for the fortitude of Fiskerton players, a tradition which
is maintained to this day.
It has not been possible to identify the 'meadow' on which
the 1819 match was played but towards the end of the nineteenth century and
prior to the first World War, the club played on a park on Fiskerton's Main
Street and close to Joe Longdon's Mill (burned down 1851), this park was shared
by all villagers for their annnual fetes. Subsequently the club moved to a
ground adjoining the manor of Morton, the owner being Mr Richard Wright, president
& benefactor of the club, who not only provided the facilities rent free
but undertook ground mowing and pitch preparation via the late Doug Parker
who was not only the groundsman but the club's opening batsman for many years.
On the death of Mr Wright, the house and farm were sold &
the purchaser had the cricket ground ploughed up. Again a benefcator came
to the rescue and a Mrs Joy Wilson, the owner of the local equestrian centre
on Occupation Lane, Fiskerton, offered the club the use of some of her grazing
land. This was described by the then club captain, Bill Tomlinson in the '1972
Haig Book of Village Cricket' as "formerly and all too often currently,
a paddock" but expertly tended by another club salwart, Peter Voce. Thanks
to this kind lady, the club survived and partly as a result the expansion
of the villages of Fiskerton & Morton began to prosper.
During that expansion in the late 1960's a Mr Arthur Radford
arrived and became yet another generous benefactor of the club. Mr Radford
took a great interest in and became a supporter of many village activities
and he, like many members of the club, realised that the tenure of the land
on Occupation Lane may be restricted. Therefore he purchased for £1,500
a six and a half acre piece of land on Cooks Lane, Morton and with the help
of many club members and villagers converted this former agricultural land
into a splendid sports ground, sports hall and pavillion where Fiskerton Cricket
Club remains to this day. Mr Radford retained ownership of the land but leased
it to a village sports association, formed for the purpose, for 21 years at
a peppercorn rent (for which there is no record of this rent having been paid)
and on his death, his son Roger inherited the land and at the end of the 21
years, agreed to grant a new lease for 99 years at the same rent, thus securing
the tenure of the cricket, football, croquet & tennis clubs who use the
Most recently indeed in 2006/07, thanks to the strenuous
fund raising activities of the sports asscociation and the financial sourcing
expertise of cricket club member Kevin Osbon, funding in excess of £300,000
was secured and enviable new premises and pavilion have been built.
In cricketing terms, the club has played an important part
in the development of club cricket in the area and has, during it's long history,
produced some very fine cricketers. One of the earliest such distinguished
players was William Shrewsbury (1845 - 1931), Nottinghamshire player &
first class umpire, father of Arthur Shrewsbury of Notts & England.
More recently Paul Todd, born in Morton, having played for
Fiskerton as a junior, went on to play 156 games for Nottinghamshire between
1972 and 1982, amassing 7,662 runs during this period with a top score of
178. He scored 1,000 runs in a season three times and also took 119 catches.
On one memorable day for the club, Paul Todd played for Nottinghamshire, whilst
his brother Steve played for Notts 2nd XI and another club member, Kevin Voce
played for Notts Colts XI.
Another Fiskerton player to have enjoyed the county scene
was Barry Whittingham who played 77 games for Notts, in the years 1962-66
with a highest score of 133 and having joined Fiskerton, enjoyed a distinguished
career with the club and added to the lustre of it by hitting the last ball
of the match for 6 to win the Singleton Cup.
Thanks to the club junior coaching policy, many of the clubs
youngsters have represented the county at various age levels.
Fiskerton Cricket Club were founder members of the Cope Cup
competion in 1948 and were the finalists and subsequent winners. Founders
also of the South Notts Village League and also an intial member of the Haig
Village Cricket competion.
Always looking to progress, the recent amalgamation with
the Old Paviours Club bodes well for the future, a future as it should be,
founded upon a sound history.